Web Toolbar by Wibiya Free Time Frolics: 1 Skirt {10 Ways} Series Day 1

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

1 Skirt {10 Ways} Series Day 1

Do any of you have a little girl that LOVES skirts.  I am right smack dab in the middle of "I want to wear a skirt"  everyday with my 4 year old.  Who cares that she has adorable shorts and dresses to wear.  She only wants skirts.  So I have been making skirts to please this little one.  But who wants a bunch of boring skirts.  Not my little Miss.  She wants them fancy.  I am taking a simple skirt and making it 10 ways. So here is day 1.

Supply List:
Fabric
Thread
Elastic

Start with your fabric.  I have made this skirt for a 4 year old. I like to use the basic sizing found Here.
I like to start with my fabric 15 by 45 inches.  For a good length measurement.  Take your finished length you would like the skirt and add 2 1/2 inches.  This with give you one inch for the Hem and 1 1/2 inch for your waistband.
Sew your Two short ends together. These will also be your selvage edges.
If you have a serger you can serge your 2 long raw edge.

If you have a serger you can serge your 2 raw edge.

Iron a 1 1/4 hem for the top and a 1 inch hem for the bottom hem.

Stitch along the top edge of of the casing hem.  Using the edge of your presser foot as a guide.


Now to stitch your casing.  Use your presser foot as a guide. Stitch around the entire skirt leaving a 1 inch opening for  your elastic.


For my 4 year old, her waist is 20 inches.  I cut my elastic at 22 inches. Thread your elastic through opening.  Overlap elastic and stitch together.  Place elastic in casing and stitch the casing closed.

Your skirt is done and ready to wear.
These skirts are super simple to make.  So easy you may want to consider making a few for Skirting the Issue.  Simple Simon & Co have started skirting the issue.  They are trying to get 100 dresses by the first week of August to donated to Foster care programs in you area.  Or you can ship them to a few locations on there website.  So come join in and share the love! Check out Simple Simon & Co for the details.

Simple Simon and Co

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments and answering them if I can. Please come back when You get a little Free Time! Adrienne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...