Web Toolbar by Wibiya Free Time Frolics: Easy Sew Easter Tote DIY

Friday, March 14, 2014

Easy Sew Easter Tote DIY




This year for Easter I thought it would be fun to make the kids an Easter Tote.  Its big enough for Easter Egg hunts, a fun toy or outfit and nothing falls out.  Then I found these adorable grocery bag fabrics at Joann's. The fabric was so cheap only $2.99 a yard. Adorable colors perfect for Easter.  I decided I would personalize each of them with a cute image.  I love how these Easter totes turned out.  My kids love them!
Start by heading to your local Joann's and pick up some of there Grocery bag fabric.  I purchased 1/2 yard of 4 colors. You will need at least 1/2 yard and then a little for whatever spring animal you want.


1. Cut fabric 17 x 18 for bag and 18x 3 (2) for handles
2. Cut your tote picture. Bunny, Egg, Chick
3. Pin your picture to your tote.  Sew your picture to your tote.  I just sewed around the outside edge of the picture. You can do a straight stitch or a zig zag stitch. If you want to add sewn embellishments add them know.
3.5. Not Pictured with Right sides together Sew down long sides and bottom creating a bag.
4. Tri-fold your handles and pin.  Sew a straight stitch down the center.
5. Fold the top of the bag down and pin.  Add handles and pin into place. Sew around the the top of the bag.  Sew an extra stitch to secure handles.
6/7. To make your tote a bit wider on the bottom  you will create a gusset. From the bottom corners pull your fabric so the seams meet and create a triangle.  Stitch across your triangle about 2 inches from the tip. 
8. Flip your bag and you are finished! If you want to embellish your bag with a  bow, ribbon, lace or buttons. Just pull out a glue gun.



I hope your kiddos love there bags as much as mine do.  Happy Spring!!!

So tell me what unique item do you put in your kids Easter baskets?

To help you enjoy a bit more of Spring, check out these amazing fun totes from a few of my friends in the blog world!
















11 comments:

  1. Awesome Job Adrienne! These turned out so dang cute!! I really do need to learn how to sew ;) <3 Andie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling! I have older kids, but I still want to make some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO CUTE! They look great!!! I love the eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are lovely and I love that chevron print fabric.
    Stampin' Up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are really cute, Adrienne! And I love that they're not complicated either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a head's up, your post contains this giggle-worthy gem that slipped past spell check: "If you want to ass sewn embellishments add them know."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, these are so cute!! I think I want to make some of these for my grandkids. Kathleen @ Fearlessly Creative Mammas

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are adorable - I especially love the little chick one! :) Thanks for sharing! -Deanna {sewmccool}

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are too cute! Your little one is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too cute!! Just curious..did you use 100% cotton fabric? Any lining?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is reusable grocery bag fabric from Joanns. No lining. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

I love reading your comments and answering them if I can. Please come back when You get a little Free Time! Adrienne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...