Web Toolbar by Wibiya Free Time Frolics: Rug Slip Cover Makeover

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Rug Slip Cover Makeover

 Since moving into our new home I have been slacking when it comes to decorating.  Pregnancy and a new baby really take its toll.  But finally I am feeling good enough to do something. 
I finally got the "get my house decorated bug." 
I have this new, larger home than the last.  Which means money.  I have limited funds to fancy up my casa.  But I am determined to do this on a budget. 
From our old home I have this rug. It is still in fair condition.  But the style is not mine anymore. I have been looking for the right rug.  But I just haven't found what I want.  Or can not afford what I want. Then I had an idea.
Just did a little DIY rug recovering. 
My thought was to make it like a duvet cover.  It just slips on and off. 

So I searched through fabric I already had. (I buy fabric on a whim if I love it.  It is a terrible habit. I have quite the collection of fabrics in my craftroom.)  And found one I thought would work.
   


So here are the before and afters.




See that adorable blue and green with sun flowers.
It needs a little pick me up.

And here is the after.





Here is the new fabric. Natural Cotton with a Chocolate Damask.  I love this print.  I bought a few yards a year or two ago at Home Fabrics and Rugs.  I have been saving it for a special occasion.  One just like this.


I added an outside border so I didn't have to piece any fabric.  I think it turned out great.  It makes a nice addition to my living room. 

 I used about 2 yards of damask fabric and 3 yards of brown.   I had some brown leftover for another project.
 So here is how I did it. 
My rug is 5x7.  My damask fabric is 54 wide.  I needed 12 more inches to make it wide enough.  So I added the brown.  I measured my length minus 12 inches. 
So my inside damask and backing fabric measured 54 x 78.

My border fabric was cut 3 yards x 13 inches. One piece was slightly wider.  I used these piece for the top.  So I would have a little extra for the folded flap.

I sewed the side borders on first. Then the bottom and top.



Next pin the backing onto the top.  Right sides together.

Fold the border in half and pin the sides to the backing fabric.Stitch your side seams.
Leave our corners for the next step.

I made my corners with a mitered edge. 

Stitch your seam to make your corners. Trim off the extra fabric.
  For the top I folded the  top down so the top border is 6 inches.This makes the fabric become like a fold over sandwich bag.


Next I marked the backing fabric to make button holes. I made the button holes and hand sewed the buttons.


Slide your rug in and your done.

Your very own DIY Rug Makeover.

Linking up to:
I was featured on:
Featured at apinchofjoy.comDelectableHome five days five ways  feature friday free for all

28 comments:

  1. How clever and creative!! Great that you could use something you had on hand. I would love it if you would consider linking to Busy Monday at A Pinch of Joy, a Sunday through Thursday link party for ideas that make life easier, better and more fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit and the invite to your party. I linked up. So fun finding new blogs to watch. Thanks Adrienne

      Delete
  2. WOW!!! What an innovative idea! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY clever idea and it looks so good! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, you're a genius!! I've never seen anyone do this before- great idea!! And the rug looks gorgeous in the new fabric. It's crazy how much bigger it looks now too. Love this!
    www.inside-outdesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brooke. I haven't ever seen a rug redone either. So I took the Plunge. It turned out great and it looks so much better. Thanks for visiting. I can't wait to see your blog post this week at MSS.

      Delete
  5. You are awesome, and this is gorgeous! That is the most creative slipcover I have ever seen. Pinning now...
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tish for visiting. I love that I can wash my rug now and have it look clean all the time. It is working out great. So much fun.

      Delete
  6. This is AWESOME!!! I'm your newest follower!!! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting. I am you newest follower too. I love your DIY tinted bottles. So cool!

      Delete
  7. What a fantastic idea! I never would have thought of slip covering a run. Love that this also means you can wash it anytime you need. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh it never would have occurred to me to use fabric to spruce up a rug. Great idea. I found you through 52 Mantels. Thanks for sharing this idea!! I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! How cool! Does it slip on the floor? Does the rug move around inside? I am already running through the fabric I have on hand. Thanks for following my blog, btw. I'm following right back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rug does move around a bit. I made mine slightly larger so when I was if there is any shrinkage my rug will still fit. I would love to see yours if you make one! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  10. It looks great. I never would have thought of it, but what a great idea!
    Eilis
    my-heart-lives-here.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job! Wow! Incredible project!

    --Katie
    @ Creatively Living

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! It looks fabulous! Nice work! :)
    Happy Day!
    Michelle
    www.daydreambelievers.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome way to re-use! Plus, I love the new fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea! I would have never thought you could do that! Amazing!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  15. Visiting from the blog hop. What a terrific idea! Your little person certainly seems to enjoy it, too. :) Liz

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations!! You are featured this week on Busy Monday at A Pinch of Joy! I hope you will stop by and grab a Featured Button from the Button Box on the sidebar. Can’t wait to see what other projects you’ve been working on — hope you will link again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never seen a rug slipcover before. Good idea. And I LOVE the fabric that you used. I'm damask-crazy right now :) I found your blog on the Networking Blog Hop. Happy to be a new follower :)

    Shasta @InTheOldRoad
    http://intheoldroad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE this idea!

    And it turned out beautiful!


    I'm featuring you today for Feature Friday FREE-FOR-ALL : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never see this before! What a creative idea. I love the print.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! What a great transformation! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice.. I like the fabric too! Congrats on the CSI win.

    -Tanya
    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Its so beautiful fabric rugs and small oriental rug. I like specially design of rugs and carpets. Thank you for share great rugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's such a brilliant idea...never came across this before. Thank you so much for sharing that

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and answering them if I can. Please come back when You get a little Free Time! Adrienne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...