Web Toolbar by Wibiya Free Time Frolics: From Crap room to Craft room Part 1: Fabric Mini bolts

Friday, February 3, 2012

From Crap room to Craft room Part 1: Fabric Mini bolts

We moved into our home 18 month ago. Plenty of space for the kids there own room an office for the Hubs a guest room and my own corner of heaven.  A Craft room! Closet space with shelves and everything.  It was even a color I loved. Turquoise.  I have a thing for Turquoise.  Maybe its because my birth stone is aquamarine, not quite sure. I have always loved Turquoise. (I will save my love for another post.) Anywho...
 I was totally stoked to have a great space for all my craftiness. Then the moving truck came and unloaded.  The rest of the house got first dibs.  And my poor craft room got put by the way side.  Then I found out I was preggers with baby #4.  Pregnancy wiped me out.  So the craft room again got put on the back burner.
That room has been sitting in the basement totally neglected as life rambled on around it. 
Until now.
A bestie of mine wanted a new look for her couch and propositioned me a trade.  She offered to help turn the crap room into the craft room. I in return would give her couch and chair a new look.
  Great trade, right????? 
 May be for me. 
 I showed her the crap room (so she knew what she was getting into). 
She totally agreed to help.
It was a trade made in heaven for me. 
There is no way I could undertake this on my own. 
 I was so excited. 
Here is a picture of the Crap room Before the redo.
 This picture was even after we had pulled a few bins of fabric out. 
I was serious when I said I had a lot of fabric.
 I am not quite sure wht the previous owner was thinking.  Mountain dew is not a wall color.
{A change is coming..}



{Can you find the baby?? He is hiding there somewhere.  Poor guy}
Now onto the first part of the redo...
I have alot  of fabric. 
 Probably borderline hoarding..
Its genetic. 
Some people get OCD, others anxiety. 
Me its gathering fabric and loving it.  I get it from my mother.

I needed a great way to store it and know what I have.  I have been trying to decide for years. 
I have looked at all the blog posts on how other do theirs.
Looked at the products out there.  None felt like a good fit or I didn't have the money.

Until now. 
I wanted Mini bolts.  Like a fabric store but smaller.  Then I can see everything I have. I actually ended up with Mini bolts and Micro bolts. Minis hold 1-2 yards and Micros hold less than a yard.

I needed something to house the fabric in once the bolts were made. First thing was Craigslist.  My bestie found this cabinet and bought it for her son.  Lucky for me it was to big for his room.
 But perfect for mine.
It is pretty solid and a bargin at $50. 


I had to add a few shelves in the spot reserved for a T.V. They cost me about $6
(The Lowe's man gave me a deal on a broken board. Half Price! Yeah)
I had him cut them for me and hauled them home.

****As a side not my shelves were white when I bought them and I used black contact paper ($5)  to cover them instead of painting.  It took about 15 minutes to cover them and they were ready to go. No mess.   So easy and they look great.

Onto the Mini bolts!

I started with:
 1/8 inch tempered peg board.
I bought a sheet that was 4x8 and had the Lowe's guy cut it down to a manageable
size for me to transport and cut myself.
Tempered Peg board $10 a sheet
This board comes with out holes.  But my lowes was out.  So pegged it is.

{I bought 3, 4x8 boards. Lowe's man gave me a great deal on two
of them because the boards had some flaws.}

Once home,
I cut them into 8 1/2 inch squares it worked best for my cabinet.
I took home my sheet in 4 pieces and had my Hubs but them to squares.
For Micro bolts I cut the squares in half again so they measure 81/2 x 41/4.
 They are the perfect size.


To hold the fabric on the bolt was a dilemma.  They clips fabric store use can be pricey and I need a lot of them.  I found these hair clips at Sally's beauty supply. They are perfect. They slip right on and hold the fabric in place. I chose these because they have a small liip under the clip.  Normally used for the curler in your hair, but today it is to hold a little fabric.  They are perfect.
The price... I got mine on sale for $3.99 a box. Yipee!!
{I bought 3 boxes}
Lots of fabric here remember... If my husband only knew.


I spent about 2 hours folding my fabric. Doesn't it looks so pretty. 


The boxes hold fat quarters and small pieces of fabric.
The baskets are holding sewing notions. 



One of my girlfriend's thinks I should group in colorways and colors.  I said one step a time. Maybe some day. But for now I am super excited this project is done and I can enjoy my finished project.
One BIG step closer to having a beautiful craft room.
Total price for my fabric redo.....
$90

Totally worth every dollar!

31 comments:

  1. I am so jealous of all your fabric!! And yes, I found the cute baby :) Can't wait to see your "crap room" (haha) turn into a craft room! (-Jealous of that too- I would love to have a craft room!)
    www.inside-outdesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brooke. The funny thinkg bout my fabric... We got all finished with the organizing and discovered 2 more 18 gallon rubbermaid bins filled with fabric. Yikes! I guess I need to start a few new projects. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! I can't believe you found that cabinet for $50. I LOVE the new set up! Can't wait to see what you do with the room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you find something great on craigslist. My room is so much fun. I never want to leave. and the kids love it to.

      Delete
  3. I love the title of this post as I too have a crap room that I wish was a craft room...Amazing functional re-do of that tv armoire. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thansk for visiting. I Love my new room and wonder why it took me so long to organize. I never want to leave. Good Luck with your crap {craft} room.

      Delete
  4. Wow! It looks amazing! Worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am totally enjoying my room. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  5. WOW, it looks amazing! I'd love to see a before and after of the entire room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. A before and after is coming soon. I am still working on decorating the room. Lots to do!

      Delete
  6. I love this! I found another storage option on Pinterest. I wanted to share with you that might be cheaper. Its over at Smashed Peas and Carrots and its comic boards. You get 100 of them for around $10-11. I can't wait to work on my craft room redo. Im starting to get the itch to buy a ton of fabric. Im in love with fabric all of a sudden ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog. I to saw the comic boards on Pintrest. I was going to use them but I needed something a little more stable. They work great for small pieces of fabric but some of mine were a couple of yards. The peg board gave me a littel more stability. Good Luck with your craft redo! Its so much fun.

      Delete
  7. I love your cabinet and the way you stored all of your fabrics. I had a 'crap' room not too long ago also and decided it was about time I made some changes. I made drastic changes and I'm so glad! Keep up the good work. I am a new follower on your blog and love your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and following. I am in love with my new craft room. I wish I had done it sooner. It makes the biggest difference. I never want to leave the room. Feels good! Thanks for the Love.

      Delete
  8. It looks gorgeous! All of that pretty fabric all in one place and so tidy... I'm in love! Would it make you feel better to know that I have as much fabric as you do?! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All this pretty fabric, so tidy feels good. After all was said and organized I found 2 more 18 gallon totes filled with more fabric. Yikes! It doesn't quite fit in the armoire. I guess I need to get sewing. Thanks for the comment. Its is good to know there area others out there who love fabric as much as I do.Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  9. SUCH a brilliant idea! I have a lot of fabric too that I keep folded up in a dresser dedicated solely to it, but I think you have me beat! You did a great job of corralling your collection!

    I would LOVE it if you'd link this up at Feature Friday FREE-FOR-ALL going on right now!

    http://www.fivedaysfiveways.com/2012/02/feature-friday-free-for-all-6-little.html

    Hope to see you soon!

    P.S. I'm a new follower. : )

    ~Abbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! I found your blog and linked in. Lots of cute tuts for me to venture into. {So exciting} I use to keep mine in totes under my cuttiing table. But alas I have to much to keep it tucked away. Thanks for checking out my blog.

      Delete
  10. Wow! Ok, first of all.. I found the baby! Is there a prize? heheh You should make that a weekly feature.. sort of a Where's Waldo. Post a busy picture with him hiding (safely) somewhere and let us find him :) Secondly, wow! What a cool way to organize fabric. Great job!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I may just do find the baby. He is my little side kick and doesn't wander far. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  11. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! This is on my list of "to do" projects for 2012! I saw you on Tater Tots and Jello. Would you please be willing to share this fabulous post with my readers for Fun Stuff Fridays? http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/02/14-days-of-valentines-fun-stuff-fridays_10.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite. Your blog has some great ideas. I love finding new blogs to follow. Thanks.

      Delete
  12. Wow! You weren't kidding when you said you had a lot of fabric! Looking at it all neat and organized makes me drool! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drool away. I do everytime I go in there. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  13. I love it! That room is going to be darling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such an amazing difference and a great idea. I also hoard fabric but mine is for upholstery projects so it's far too much to wrap around a board. I'll need to come up with an alternative I think :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thansk for visiting. I love my redo. It is comeing together nicely. FUnny thinkg about fabric is I found 1 more 18 gallon tote of fabric and under my cutting table I have 2, 25 gallon totes of home dec fabric. Scary! If you think of one let me know. I thought of hanging it on trouser hangers maybe.

      Delete
  15. Can you and your girlfriend come help me sort through all of my fabric? My mother keeps going through hers and passes it to me. I have been thinking I would do something similar. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!! I hope you will share with us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. GREAT JOB!! It looks amazing! And I had to also laugh at your title because I too have a Crap, err, I mean Craft Room. I have to be careful when I talk about it to my 7 year old so she doesn't say it that way too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am sooo jealous of all of your great fabric. I've featured your storage tutorial at Grits & Giggles today! Come grab a featured button!
    http://www.gritsandgiggles.blogspot.com/2012/04/featured-projects.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. The post is telling about changing from crap room to craft room. useful post

    Hunter Douglas

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and answering them if I can. Please come back when You get a little Free Time! Adrienne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...