Web Toolbar by Wibiya Free Time Frolics: Vintage Post Card DIY

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Vintage Post Card DIY

I made this vintage postcard for my St Patricks Day Mantel. 
Her dark hair and green bow were screaming at me.  I loved this little print.

I found the tutorial on Pintrest.
It came in the form of a video on You Tube
Not a whole lot of explanation but I figured it out.

Supplies:
Gel Medium
(This is really the name. Just gel medium.  The brand I found was Goldens.  It runs around $15 a jar.)
Flat, board canvas
Print you want to use.
Mine was a vintage print I found online. 
I had to open it in Photshop and flip the image so the text appeared backwards.

Modge Podge
Sponge Brush
Ink pad


Use plenty of gel medium.  Not to thick though.
You want a nice even coat on the canvas.

Lay your picture on top of the gel medium
Smoothing out the picture with your finger tips, spoon or credit card.
 From the center out to the edges.
Get out all the air bubbles.
Let dry overnight or at least 8 hours.
Thicker gel means a little longer to dry.
After your canvas has dried completely, take a wet wash cloth or sponge and wet the entire canvas.



Keep rubbing with sponge or fingertips until paper comes off completely.
You will have fibers that stay. Just keep rubbing until they all come off.
Let dry.
(*Note" If you let it dry and you still find fiber on the canvas, Just re wet in the problem spots and rub lightly. Let dry completely.)
On antother one I did teh color rubbed off too a bit.  Just don't rub to hard.  If you used enough gel medium you will be fine.

To finish I used my ink pad and rubbed the corners a bit to antique it.  Then gave it a nice coat of modge podge to seal it.  It worked perfect.

Pin It
Here is my finished canvas.
I love the way it turned out. 
It cost me maybe $4 to make, if that and I have a bunch more
gel medium for several projects.


My little girl and her dog are perfect for my mantel.
thanks for visiting.

Adrienne
DelectableHomeSkip To My Lou
Tip Junkie handmade projects

2 comments:

  1. Adorable! What a great addition! thank you for linking up to uncommon! Bonnie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I've never heard of gel medium, but this is a project I'd love to try. Thanks for linking up @ the Delectable Home!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and answering them if I can. Please come back when You get a little Free Time! Adrienne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...