Web Toolbar by Wibiya Free Time Frolics: Modge Podge Photo Transfer {Vintage Sign}

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Modge Podge Photo Transfer {Vintage Sign}

I am so excited to share this new product to you today. I recently had the opportunity to try the new
Modge Podge Photo transfer.  After watching a video on the product, I was instantly in love. This stuff can turn any fabric, metal, glass or wood into a craft dream,  transfer any photo copied picture into a beautiful art piece.  After debating ideas in my head I decided on a sign.  I needed a great photo and spot to place it.  It's a good thing I have bloggy friends who love creative things in their homes.  Andie from MaybeIwill.com had the perfect spot for me.  Her little boys room was in need of a funky Vintage piece of art.  Here is what I came up with.





  
Here is what you need to make this amazing sign.
Craft wood - Mine was from Lowes. It measured 3/8 x 6 x 36
plus 2 back supports 3/8 x 2 x 24
Engineer print from a copy center mine was from Staples. (If your photo has words on it be sure to mirror your image._ 
Modge Podge Photo Transfer



Next I sanded the long edges and stained the wood

Next cut your print to fit your wood planks. Mine are just shy of 6 inches wide. Then I taped them to the wood with the right side of the paper to the wood.  Tape one short end to the board.  This helps to keep your image lined up when you apply your photo transfer.



Next apply your photo transfer.  Shake your transfer well before starting. Be fairly generous at least 1/8 inch thick. If enough photo transfer is not applied your ink will rub off when removing the paper. You do not want to be able to see the wood coming through.  Work one plank at a time.  Press image onto photo transfer and plank.  Lightly rub into place.  Allow to dry for 24 hours.


After drying for 24 hours use a sponge and water and rub on top of paper, Allow water to sit for a few minutes.  Begin to rub paper in circular motion.  Top of paper with begin to rub off leaving the ink and your photo transfer.

                       


 Continue rubbing until all the paper is removed from the boards. Fingers work great.  Be careful when removing the paper.  Rubbing to hard can cause all the ink to rub off as well.



I allowed the planks to dry for a bit before my next step.  If you have left paper behind letting it dry for a bit will show you if you need to remove any leftover paper.


Next I used some red chalk to color in the banner that says Red Sox.  After the transfer it was a little hard to see. (The picture in black and white was a little hard to see to begin with) I thought adding a little pop of color would look great.



I sanded my edges one more time to rough things up a bit and smooth out the edges. I finished off my sign with a layer of Modge Podge Matte finish to seal the picture and the chalk.


Assemble the wood slats in order and screw it all together.  I add hanging tabs to the back and hung it up.  I love how it turned out.  After it was all done Andie and I just wanted to sit and stare at it all day. It looks amazing on the wall. I am so pleased how this turned out.  I am now contemplating my next project with this wonderful stuff!




This post was written as part of a campaign with The Blueprint Social. All opinions are my own.

13 comments:

  1. Very cool! I like your technique of putting the medium directly on the boards instead of painting it on to the image. It seems like it would be much easier that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out so cool!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a tutorial using this product on canvas, but I wasn't sure if it would work on wood, which was what I was wanting to do. Thanks for this post! I need to buy this new mod podge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this looks so fun! You did a great job and I love how you colored in a bit. I'm going to have to try this soon...
    I found you today from the Link Up at Live Laugh Rowe, where I'm #184. I hope you stop by my blog and leave a comment, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing! I think I'm going to pick up some photo transfer next time I'm in Michael's. So cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I might have to try your technique!

    www.dimplesandpigtales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this, I might have to try this one out! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job. I liked all the pictures at the end to give more ideas that you could do with this product! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! The vintage look really lends itself to this project (or is it the other way around)? :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stopping in to pin, I love your sign!

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found you in The Gunny Sack! Your vintage wood sign is adorable. Fenway Park is the best (Go Red Sox!). Now following you, and pinned your project.

    Hope you can come by my blog, altered-artworks.blogspot.com and say hello.

    Have a great day,
    Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  12. great artical !! Thanks for sharing such a great information with us....keep sharing..Custom Sign Design

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and answering them if I can. Please come back when You get a little Free Time! Adrienne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...