Web Toolbar by Wibiya Free Time Frolics: Skirt Extender DIY

Monday, February 4, 2013

Skirt Extender DIY


I love skirts. But as I get older it seems that skirts are getting shorter or I am getting taller.  I have a general rule that my skirts go to the knee.  Skirts that length that are modest can be hard to find. So when I saw a modest slip extender at a local boutique I just had to have one.  But at $30 a piece I decide I would have to wait.  So I went to my local Joanns.  They had a great selection of Lycra stretch fabric in lots of colors.  Here is what I bought:

1 yard Lycra fabric
2 yards coordinating lace
1/4 inch elastic enough for your waist.

To start measure your hips. take that measurement and add 1 inch.
 Measure the length you want, from waist to knee or wherever you want it to go to.


Using a knit stitch, sew a seam the length of your skirt.

Make a casing for your waist band.
Thread your elastic through the casing.

Attach your lace.

Along the seam I used the extra lace and made a bustle like look for the kick pleat in my skirts. I started with a 4-5 inch piece and stitched it down.  Then a 3-4 inch piece and so on.. Go up maybe 6-8 inches high.  Enough to show lace when you kick pleat opens. 







10 comments:

  1. I love slip extenders! This is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my slip extender! I need a black one, so thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally need this! Thanks so much for sharing your great tutorial! I can't wait to try it! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this! I'm pinning it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Popping over from SNAP! Love this! My oldest daughter is so tall for her age and thin as well and we've been having a hard time lately finding skirts long enough. This is a darling remedy to our problem! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is awesome! I LOVE skirts, and have also had a hard time finding them long enough. I am going to try this for sure. I think hor pink would look neat! After seeing your tutorial, I may even try repurposing a t-shirt until I get to Joann's. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing! I'd love for you to check out our Pattern Party! Those with free patterns and templates to share are invited to link up.
    http://getyourcraptogether.blogspot.com/search/label/Pattern%20Party

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw these for sale at a boutique for like 25 bucks...yeah, didn't buy one. Thanks for the How-To! :) I'm pinning! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and answering them if I can. Please come back when You get a little Free Time! Adrienne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...