Web Toolbar by Wibiya Free Time Frolics: 30 minute T- Shirt Dress Tutorial

Friday, May 24, 2013

30 minute T- Shirt Dress Tutorial



I love myself an easy project.  This one it on the top of my list.  My little girl loves skirts and dresses.  Sometimes we just need something easy.  These easy t-shirt dresses make a great swimsuit cover up, lounge dress, or baby doll dress with leggings. Want to make your own?  Here is how you do it. 


I started with an inexpensive t shirt from Walmart.  Pick a color any color! Less than $5. The mermaid shirt above was at Walmart for about $5.

Next I found this adorable eye-cat fabric at Joanns for the dress below.  I just had to have some. Wash both yoru skirt and fabric before starting.  Press both when they come out of the dryer.

Cut your fabric the length you need it.  For a 24 month shirt I cut 10 inches.  Stitch the short ends together. 

If you have a serger, run your edges through it. Hem one long edge.  Fold edge 3/4 inch.  Stitch in to place. Next run the longest stitch possible along the un-hemmed edge. This is made to gather the skirt. 

Pin your skirt to your shirt.  I break my skirt into fourths and pin into place with a in on each seam and center of the front and back. 
Stitch down skirt to shirt. Fold skirt over and press.  Top stitch your skirt into place.  Add a bow or trim if you like. 
I also used my Silhouette to make a cute graphic to the T.  I used a wiggly arrow and the words straight as an arrow to the shirt.  Doesn't my little model look adorable. Thanks Ashley from 
Flats to Flip Flops for letting me borrow your beautiful kiddos!    


Do you love the movie Pitch Perfect??  It is one of my favorite movies. I love it so much I decided my daughter need a Mermaid Dance Team shirt.  Then I found this adorable Mermaid fabric at Joanns. I just had to make something with it and add a little pitch perfect to the mix. 




So I made the above dress. Then added a mermaid tail.  I free handed the tail If you would like a tail cut out please click the link below.  
I ironed on my tail according to the instructions for heat transfer vinyl.  I also used my silhouette to cut out the phrase Mermaid Dance team.  
I just love how it turned out.  I think I may need to make my own Dance team shirt!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, just stopping by from the Monday Funday Blog Hop. Very cute dresses and even cuter girls. I'm a new follower and look forward to reading more incredible posts.


    http://darlenebnemeth.blogspot.ca
    http://mylittleshopoftreasures.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cute dresses - I love the idea of adding the mermaid tail - it looks great!
    I would love if you came and linked this project to my clothes upcycling project page. It has a long term linky, so your project would stay there for more than just the week of a usual linky. We have over 400 projects linked up now – some fantastic ideas.
    Do come and take a look!
    http://jembellish.blogspot.com/p/clothes-upcycling-projects.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the dresses and so simple! I have been stashing gingham fabric for so long and now I have found the perfect pattern! Off to Walmart to buy some t-shirts!
    PS- your models are too cute :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and answering them if I can. Please come back when You get a little Free Time! Adrienne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...