Web Toolbar by Wibiya Free Time Frolics: Princess Aprons

Friday, July 1, 2011

Princess Aprons

So I saw these little cuties on a website the other day.  I thought they were totally cute and I am a sucker for princess stuff. I only have One little girl. I kind of give into anything girly.  Until I saw the price tag.  $25. Way to much for this mama to pay.  So I made my own. It only cost me about $8 and about an hour to make 2 of them.  So today you get Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty!



What you need for one:

1/2 - 3/4 yard fabric (color depends on the princess)
1/4-1/2 yard fabric for extras
Thread

 
 I cut my main fabric into sections. 13 inches for skirt, 5 inches for sash.  If I made this again I would buy and extra 5 inches to make my sash longer.


Next cut your extras. in this case the hip puffies ( not quite sure what to call them)
1.I started with cutting 4 rectangles 9 1/2 wide x 6 1/2 long.
Then I rounded 2 bottom edges.
Stitch around 3 sides. Clip rounded edges before turning.
Turn, Press and topstitch.
3. Gather the top.  I gathered mine to be 6 inches wide finished.

Next I folded my sash to have a finished edge.
1. Fold top left corner to right side lining up edges.
2. Fold top right corner to left edge. (You should have a triangle on the end of your sash)
3 Press.
4. Fold in half and press.
At this point I folded the straight edges of my sash  a 1/2 inch on both sides and pressed them to prepare for stitching everything together.

Okay so here I missed taking a picture.  But Its really simple.  I gave my skirt a little hem around 3 sides.  1 long (45 inches) and both short (13). About a 1/2 in.  I turned 1/2 inch and pressed then another 1/2 inch and pressed.
Across the non hemmed edge I did a basting stitch as large as I could to do my gathering. Leave you threads a little long for this.  Pull one thread and begin to gather you fabric.  When you have it the length you want tie the threads in a knot to hold it till you can stitch it. My skirts finished length after gathering was about 18 in.

I then added my puffies. Placing them each on center. Pin them into place.
Take your sash find your center and match it up with the skirt. Pin the wrong side of the skirt
to the right side of the sash.
Sew the sash puffies and skirt together.
Once done fold the sash over onto the skirt. Start at the end of the sash and stich to the other end.  As you stitch you will be finishing the sash and top stitching the sash to the skirt and puffies.

When your finished it will look like this! I added a fabric twisted rose to the center to give it a little more glam.  My little miss loves it!

I was thinking these would make a great birthday gift or party favor for a Princess and her guests!
 I think next time I may make a Belle, Tinker Bell or Alice in Wonderland apron.

4 comments:

  1. These are the cutest little aprons ever! LOVE THEM! I have a 3 year old who LOVES to play dress up! Thanks for sharing! I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever and so cute!!!
    following you now
    ladeedacreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. so are these going to be for sale on Cosettes Closet? You know, for those of us who dont sew? :D

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and answering them if I can. Please come back when You get a little Free Time! Adrienne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...