Web Toolbar by Wibiya Free Time Frolics: Home Made for the Holidays for the Girl

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Home Made for the Holidays for the Girl


Home Made for the girl... I saw a dress liked this on pinterest and just couldn't pay the price. So with my mad sewing skills I came up with this. 



Supplies:
Fabric 2 different prints
1 inch elastic for waist band
matching thread
ribbon about 3 yards
embellishements
about  1/2 yard scrap fabric or just white fabric

I made my skirt to be a size 4-5
You will need to cut 3 pieces.
Waistband (24x45)
Skirt body (15x45)
Skirt top (12x45)
I decided I wish I would have made the top 15x45 as well to get more gather when finished.

Take your waist band and sew the short ends together.  Making a a band.
Make a 1 1/4 inch hem. Leave a 1 inch opening for threading elastic through later.


Take the skirt body and sew the short ends. To make a a tube. Hem the bottom with a 1/4 inch rolled hem. Set your skirt body and waist band.


Cut 2 inch strips.  For a 15 length skirt I cut 5.

  I ran the raw edges through my serger just to clean the edges.
Hem 1 short edge. This will lay with the hemmed edge of the top skirt.

Take the top skirt and hem the bottom edge.Your fabric should be one length.
Measure the fabric into sections For 45 inches I measured mine 8 1/2 inches. Lay one of your strips down and pin.


Stitch down each edge of the strips. Then down the center. Dividing the strips into 2 sections.
Fold fabric with right sides together.


Stitch down along the edge. Leaving about 3/4 inches from edge to seam.

Press open seam. Stitch down, Making a pocket wide enough for your ribbon.
Looking something like this when you are finished.

Turn  skirt body right side out.
 Now is when you thread your ribbon into the pockets you just made.
Stitch around the top to secure the ribbons in place. 


Pin both fabrics together.  Using a basting stitch around the the top of the skirt. About 1 inch from the top. Pull the top thread and gather the skirt until the skirt fits the waistband.


Once the skirt is gathered and fits the waist band. Pin the two together.

Sew the waistband to the skirt.


Thread the elastic into the waistband. Stitch the elastic together and close the waistband.

All finished.  Just pull your ribbons and gather the top skirt.

Perfect for  little girls who love to jump and twirl.









Thanks for joining me for Home Made Holidays.  Don't forget to come back tomorrow for a fun Kid craft. 

11 comments:

  1. Love the tutorial! I also like the simply Jane pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blooming skirt pattern! I've been terrified to try my hand at making clothes, but if I won a free pattern, I'd give it a try!! :)
    www.inside-outdesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also your newest follower! I'm excited to be taking part in your series tomorrow on Holly & Nat's blog!!
    www.inside-outdesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! I love the details and your tutorial pics are super! Would you link up to my party? I bet my readers would love this!

    http://daysofchalkandchocolate.blogspot.com/2011/11/blog-love.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has GOT TO BE the CUTEST skirt EVER! I love the fabric you chose and that little model of yours is just precious! I hope you'll link up to my fashion linky party called DIY Diva Thursdays. We party every Th-M :)

    Kara
    www.mineforthemaking.com

    visiting from TT&J

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this Adrienne! I need to learn to sew so I can make your little boy's tie pattern! Love it! Thanks for doing this for all of us. :) Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  7. those fabrics are so cute together, and the model is adorable!

    hugs x
    Crystelle
    http://www.crystelleboutique.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and answering them if I can. Please come back when You get a little Free Time! Adrienne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...