Web Toolbar by Wibiya Free Time Frolics: Story Starters

Monday, June 4, 2012

Story Starters

It's summer break and the kids are out of school.  Part of me is excited and the the other part terrified.  Some days are like Ground hogs day.  Just the same day on repeat.  A Copy and Paste kind of day.  Others are exciting and fun.  With great experiences.  We have some fun things planned this summer.  Yellowstone Park, camping, visiting family, water parks and the zoo just to name a few.

I guess you could say I am a mean mom.  We have a lot of fun things planned but I also have my kids do school work during the summer.  We have workbooks to do, reading time (my boys actually like reading time) and this year story starters.

Our boys are great students and get fairly good grades.  A weakness they have is Handwriting and punctuation. (Most boys do I think???)  So in an effort to help them remember and practice these skills we have implemented Story starters.  They are given the opportunity to write a creative story each week about what they have been doing for the summer or use one of these story starters. 

This is a great way to help your kids remember those skills they have learned in school and have a creative outlet.
We just used  an old notebook they brought home from school.  Each boy has to write a 1 page story each week as part of there weekly chores.

Here are a list of the story starters I cam up with. Click on the Google link below to download and use. 

Story Starters

On the first day of Summer, I saw an alien spaceship.....

A Monkey escaped from the zoo...

I was riding my bike to a friend house when it suddenly lifted off the ground and began to float....
website
One night I was dreaming I was walking on the Moon. When I woke up, I couldn’t believe my eyes. I was standing.....

I woke up one morning to find an alien in my closet.....

If I were a Christmas ornament....

If I found a $1000....

If I had 3 arms....

When I grow up I want to be....

My best friend...

I tried to catch a Leprechaun. This is how I did it...

For summer break I went to....

I saw an insect as big as my Dad....

My favorite thing to do is...

My least favorite thing to do is....

If I could create my very own........ It would be.......

If I were a video game...


Scholastic also offers a story starters on there website.  They can do all types of stories in different formats.  Newspaper, poem, letter or story.  Lots to choose from.


Hope your Summer has started off with a Bang!



1 comment:

  1. Great idea with the story starters. I'll have to give them a try with my son. Thanks for sharing! I have my first giveaway today- come by to enter to win an iTunes card!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and answering them if I can. Please come back when You get a little Free Time! Adrienne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...