Web Toolbar by Wibiya Free Time Frolics: Fried Scones {Recipe}

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Fried Scones {Recipe}


Many people hear the word Scone and thing of the crumbly bread like treats they sell at Starbucks or your local coffee house. I am a Utah girl. In Utah they are more like fry bread or Beingets.

Side note: Beingets are the best if you haven't tried on find them and don't share. 
Cafe Du Monte, in the French quarter of New Orleans are the best.  I loved getting these 
when I flew into New Orleans, even if they were made at the Airport. 

I have looked may places to make Scone dough.  Recently I was purchasing it from a local food storage store made by Augason Farms.  Super good stuff. They even have Gluten Free. I still buy it for my food storage but I also came across this recipe from a friend and fell in love.  It is super simple to make and you don't need anything fancy to make them.  I don't even use my Mixer.  I just do it by hand. Here is how you do it!!
Dissolve:
4 1/2 C. Hot water (105*)
1 Can Evaporated Milk
3 TB Yeast
Add:
1 C. Sugar
1 1/2 TB Salt
1/3 C. Oil
Slowly add 13-15 Cups of Flour (at 10 cups start monitoring closely until it doesn't stick to the sides of the bowl.)
Let rise until doubles in size. About 30 minutes. Rise again for 30 minutes. Roll dough on floured surface about 1/2 inch thick. cut into squares or shapes.  Fry in 3 inches or more of oil or bake on greased cookie sheets at 350* for 10-15 minutes. Serve with Honey butter, powdered sugar or cinnamon and sugar.

This recipe makes A LOT of Scones.  For my family of 6, I half the recipe.  We have plenty to eat and some left over for a midnight snack or breakfast.  You can also make half into scones and the other half into bread.   It makes about 2 loaves.

These are also fantastic for Navajo Tacos. Cut your dough into larger pieces. Fry them up and add  all the fixins' instead of honey butter. I hope you family enjoys these as much as mine does!!
To make a printable version of this recipe head over to Recipe Magic.

3 comments:

  1. You have a wonderful blog!! I'm your newest follower from the "52 Mantels" blog hop - this is my blog if you wanted to follow back: godsgrowinggarden.com
    Thanks
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fried scones... oh the deliciousness. I've got to try these asap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look AMAZING! Stopping by from BYBC13 :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and answering them if I can. Please come back when You get a little Free Time! Adrienne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...