Web Toolbar by Wibiya Free Time Frolics: How to cover a pillow with a Dishtowel DIY

Monday, April 8, 2013

How to cover a pillow with a Dishtowel DIY

I love finding  simple everyday things and turning them into something amazing.   Today I am going to share how to make a pillow cover with a Dishtowel.  This project was super easy ,cheap  inexpensive and makes an adorable throw pillow for a bed or chair. Making the pillow took me about 30 minutes, with minimal sewing. Not to mention it cost me less than $5.





Let's get started.  First I found this dishtowel at TJ Maxx for $4.  I fell on love with the little appliqued birds and ruffle.  I knew immediately this little beauty was going to be a pillow for my daughters bed. The colors match her room perfect. My towel measured 20x30.


Next I picked out 3 buttons and 2 1/2 yards of ribbon to match.  I had a pillow for from a previous couch pillow I didn't need anymore.  If you are looking for a pillow form, Home Fabrics and Rugs is a great place to get them.

Next I wrapped my dishtowel around my pillow form to get a general idea of how far the dishtowel would wrap. Mine wrapped around once with a a 5 inch overlap.  With that in mind, I folded the bottom edge of my dishtowel about 8 inches. I pinned the edges into place.

Next cut you ribbon into 8 equal pieces.  Burn the edges with a match.  This will keep the ends from unraveling.  Pin your ribbon into position. I pinned mine at the top of the folded edge and 3 1/2 inches from the bottom folded edge, in between the 2 pieces of fabric..



Stitch into place. Making a pocket for the pillow.
Place your pillow in the sewn pocket.  I did this to check for placement of the other ribbons. My ribbons were placed 3 and 7  inches from the top of the ruffle. Just make sure they sit directly even with each other. Stitch them into place.
For the last step I placed my buttons.  I measured for center and pinned.  For the other buttons I measured from the middle to each end and found that center and pinned on both sides.  This is where I made my button holes.



Hand stitch your buttons on and you are all done!! Now you have an adorable decorative throw pillow for a bed or chair for spring or a little girls bedroom.  My little girl loves her new decorative pillow on her bed.  I need to keep my eyes open for a few more just like them.


8 comments:

  1. I heart this adorable project Adrienne. So fun!

    Warmly, Michelle
    Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust

    ReplyDelete
  2. super cute pillow! I love the buttons :o) I came over from Ginger Snap... but I would love for you to link up to my party too! It will be open for another day :o)
    Emily
    www.nap-timecreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute and it does look easy! I pinned it to my sewing board now I just need to find a towel.
    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh this is the cutest idea ever! I hope my tjmaxx has some cute dish towels like that. Come link up to centerpiece Wednesday and share this post http://thestylesisters.blogspot.com/2013/04/centerpiece-wednesday-and-wrap-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the cutest idea! I love it, thanks for sharing how to make one, now I need to add it to my list of things I want to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks adorable!! I would love for you to share at my Tasty Thursdays linky party and GIVEAWAY. Going on until Sunday. Hope to see you there!! Thanks, Nichi - The Mandatory Mooch
    http://www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2013/04/tasty-thursdays-36-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great idea and tutorial! Thank you for sharing'

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this shared it as part of my Mother's Day Round Up!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and answering them if I can. Please come back when You get a little Free Time! Adrienne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...